Posted in Management Best Practices
It's January, and you know what that means: tight waistbands, incoming credit card bills and piles of backlogged work.
Not exactly a motivating scenario for your employees.
The holidays are full of planning, excitement and great experiences. Once the season is over and people have to return to "the grind," it's natural for them to feel a little down, sluggish or "off their game." But as a manager, it's your job to get them back on track – and off to a productive start in the New Year.
If your team is singin' the post-holiday blues, how can you get them to change their tune? Use these ideas to get employees re-energized, refocused and recommitted:
Beat the blues to the punch.
If team performance slumps after the holidays, nip problems in the bud by injecting a little more positivity and fun into the work environment:
- Have a "re-gifting" exchange for small-ticket items, where employees can swap presents they don't want with one another – purely for entertainment!
- Take 5-minute "fun" breaks to recharge employees – especially when work is stressful or you see productivity declining.
- Schedule a January team-building event to recalibrate work units and improve team cohesiveness.
Hold a 2017 kickoff meeting.
What are your company goals for the year? What are the top three priorities for each department or team? What do individual employees hope to accomplish in the year ahead? Bring everyone together to discuss and recommit to goals, to renew employees' enthusiasm for their jobs.
Make wellness a priority.
Bring wellness team members together to discuss and implement initiatives which will help employees feel better about themselves personally and professionally. Whether you decide to share healthy recipes, start a group exercise regimen or offer support services for individuals struggling with post-holiday blues, emphasize wellness this month.
Provide the support employees need.
If work piled up during December, give your local PrideStaff office a call. Whether you need a single line worker to augment a shift, or a comprehensive workforce solution to manage excess demand, we can provide the support you need to:
- Prevent demoralizing overwork, job stress and burnout.
- Help your team maintain a healthy work-life balance.
- Ensure employees stay motivated, productive and efficient all year long.