Fort Lauderdale, FL
Date Posted: October 25, 2017
Job Type: Direct Hire
Job ID: 269304
Estimator - PreSales (Construction)
The Estimator will provide expert services collaborating with engineers, architects, clients and contractors during the sales process.
The key responsibilities of this position include the following:
· Prepare or assist in preparing estimates and proposals for conceptual projects.
· Perform risk analysis while preparing estimates
· Occasionally travel to jobsites to gather information on materials needed, labor required, and other factors?
· Read blueprints and technical documents in order to prepare estimates.
· Consult with industry experts to discuss construction procedures to aid in the bidding process.
· Prepare detailed reports or bids for submission to appropriate parties.
· Identify and quantify cost factors, such as production time, materials, and labor expenses
· Work with sales teams to prepare estimates and bids for clients.
· Complete assigned project estimates on established deadlines and priorities.
· Prepare accurate estimates of direct costs for assigned projects according to standard processes.
· Prepare clear and effective proposals and bid forms for review by the Chief Estimator on assigned projects according to standard processes.
· Perform value engineering of new or alternate materials, means and methods of construction.
· Solicit bids and qualify proposals from suppliers and/or subcontractors; participate in the procurement process, as directed.
· Assist in the updating of the Company’s estimating database.
· Lead or assist in the development of team estimating.
· Prepare turnover packages and collaborate in successful kick-off meetings with the construction team
· Engage with operations and Project Managers to thoroughly communicate bid scope and contract scope.
· Foster relationships with key vendors (GC, architects, etc.)
The position requires the following enterprise level skills
· Proven experience at least 3-5 years as a construction estimator
· Basic understanding of accounting and project management concepts
· Deep understanding of research methodology, data analysis and estimation metrics
· Comfortable with numbers and technology
· Excellent knowledge of?take-off software like?Plan Swift and/or OST-On Screen Take-off
· Excellent knowledge in Microsoft software like Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project, etc.
· Possess brainstorming skills and techniques
· Possess negotiation skills
· Overcoming problems and difficulties
· Excellent with spreadsheets
· Great attention to detail
· Strong numeracy skills
· Sound verbal reasoning
· Honest and ethical
· Level Headed
· Naturally inquisitive
· Good power of recall (excellent memory)
· Excellent communication and negotiation abilities
· Well-organized and reliable
· BSc/BA in engineering, construction science or relevant field
In any of the following:
· Certified Professional Estimator (CPE) or other qualification will be a plus
· Certified in PROCORE or other PM software will be a plus.
The candidate requires the following characteristics to be successful:
1. A passion and genuine interest in construction
2. Proactive and is a self-starter – able to take the initiative to plan and look for improvements
3. Have good interpersonal skills – able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical people and establish rapport and trust with clients and colleagues
4. Good work ethic – able to work equally effectively when working from home without day to day supervision and with colleagues and clients in the office
5. Innovative – looking for new ways of doing things to improve solutions or approaches to engineering and IT challenges
This position requires a minimum of 5 years experience working on commercial level projects in the construction industry.
The employee should have a college degree (major is not important) or additional related on the job training and experience. A background in construction systems is critical. Employees that do not have all the required skills are expected to lean them through a combination of personal study and formal training.
The employee's performance will be evaluated on their skill level and a feedback from
1. Customers and clients
2. Sales and inside sales staff
3. Direct management
The employee will be based out of our office in Fort Lauderdale Florida. Work hours will generally be from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM with some evening and weekend work required
Travel expenses will be reimbursed according to the firms travel policy.
New software certifications may be added at any time. The employee is expected to complete any new certifications in a reasonable time frame as defined by management.