Trabuco Canyon, CA
Date Posted: November 14, 2017
Job Type: Temporary
Job ID: 288227
A public water utility located in South Orange County is searching for a Customer Service Representative. Under direct supervision of the Assistant General Manager, and general supervision of the Lead Customer Service Representative, this individual will assist in the performance of customer service functions including front desk cashiering, customer account maintenance and customer requests. This is a temporary position that is expected to last from 3 to 6 months, and could lead to being hired by the district. The hours are Monday to Friday, 7AM to 4PM. The pay is $20 an hour.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides first response to customer service requests regarding availability of water, wastewater, and recycled water services and performs receptionist duties, receiving telephone calls and greeting visitors in a friendly and professional manner.
- Provides general education to the public with respect to wise water use, utility bill inquires and payments, rate adjustments, revised billing practices, general Rules and Regulations and Policies of the District.
- Processes new and final service customer requests, ensuring all required documents are received and executed prior to the account changes.
- Initiates and coordinates new meter service activation, reviews delinquent accounts, and authorize the lock-off of water service for delinquent, non-payment, and/or final service requests.
- Processes utility bill payments received in multiple forms, including but not limited to, mail, drops, cash, online resources, check free, credit cards, and web payments on a daily basis.
- Creates Daily Cash Control Sheet for all customer payments and reconciles with utility billing system entry and posting of payments to customer accounts and provides to Supervisor on a daily basis.
- Processes daily accounts receivable including entering and posting payments to customer accounts, and prepares receipts and enters data.
- Sets up and transmits accounts receivable invoices.
- In the absence of the Lead Customer Service Representative, acts as custodian of petty cash and all related record-keeping functions.
- Obtain money orders for cash deposits on an as needed basis.
- Prepares and distributes accurate customer service work orders.
- Loads and unloads meter route reads from the District’s meter reading equipment, and uploads the data into the District’s Utility Billing System.
- Prepares meter read error reports to generate service orders to ensure accurate reads prior to the preparation of billing statements.
- Monitors delinquent accounts, initiates attempts to collect payment and reports uncollectible accounts to collection agency.
- Follows District Lock-Off for Non-Payment procedures, including the preparation potential lock off notices for delinquent accounts; prepares and sends out call notifications to delinquent account to notify of potential lock off for non-payment via the District’s automated phone notification system; prepares lock off service orders for meter readers; and processes any reconnection fees and service orders to reactivate service.
- Prepares ACH and Credit Card Auto Payments for transmission to bank, as needed.
- Follows up on returned checks including reversal of applied funds, TCWD check return fees, notification to customer, re-scheduling of lock-off (if applicable) and all other necessary steps.
- Maintains customer file records, both hardcopy and digital files in the District’s Utility Billing System in accordance with the District’s Records Retention Policy.
- Sets up and monitors commercial and construction meter accounts.
- Performs minor file maintenance related to computerized customer billing system.
- Opens, sorts, and distributes incoming mail on a daily basis
- Keeps Assistant General Manager informed regarding customer service and/or meter related issues.
- Advises Assistant General Manager of opportunities for improvement in policies and procedures.
- Performs computer functions, forms and other documents.
- Transmit checks to bank reconciling control balance with total being sent to bank and resolving any conflicts to ensure proper posting of payments on a daily basis.
- Logs information on Daily Cash Control and maintains electronic supporting files for auditors.
- Creates and maintains Customer Service Calendars of all customer service activities, including but not limited to: billing schedule, meter read schedules, collection calls, auto payment processing, etc.
- Follows District safety rules and regulations.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Principles, methods and modern practices of customer service.
- Computerized data entry and retrieval.
- English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and equipment.
- Establish and maintain accurate, organized and comprehensive financial records.
- Understand and apply laws, rules and regulations affecting payroll and other financial activities.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Participate effectively in cross training as it relates to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Operate a personal computer workstation at a mid-range experience level.
- Effectively communicate with Assistant General Manager and co-workers.
- Complete forms and reports legibly and accurately.
- Be respectful and properly manage complaints and comments from the public.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent
- Approximately one (1) year of directly related administrative/clerical office experience
- Proficient in the use computer keyboard, typing, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and email )
- Proficient in performing mathematical functions including single and multiple calculations involving the following: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages
Other Qualifications (desired)
Experience with utility billing, preparation or processing of purchase requests or purchase orders, accounts receivable, experience with bank deposits and processing of credit card payments desirable
Possesses and maintains a valid California State Driver’s License, Class C.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND/OR ACTIVITIES:
- May work at a computer station for extended time periods; may look at computer monitor for extended time periods
- Work at a desk for an extended period of time
- Work in an office environment, and be able to regularly sit, walk, bend, stoop, stand and lift and move objects up to 25 pounds such as large binders, books, and small office equipment
- Regularly uses a telephone for communication
- Use of office equipment such as computers, copiers, and FAX machines
- Hearing and vision within normal ranges