Am I on the right career path?
What’s the next logical step in my career to achieve my ultimate goal?
How can I learn what I need to know to get ahead?
Succeeding in your career requires you to ask – and find answers to – tough questions like these. While it would be nice to have a toll-free hotline you could call 24/7 to get the advice you need, things aren’t that simple.
Who should you talk to when you need sound career guidance?
Have a conversation with yourself.
In this earlier post, we review steps you should take to ensure that your job aligns with your goals.
Before you take the next step in your career, have a heart-to-heart talk with yourself. Decide whether you’re on the right path – or if now might be the time to course-correct.
Find a mentor.
A mentor is an experienced professional who helps you grow and develop in your chosen career, providing advice on education, job opportunities and more. They can accelerate your career growth by:
- Helping you objectively assess your strengths and weaknesses.
- Expanding and challenging your thinking.
- Assisting you in designing a long-term path for your career.
- Providing opportunities to learn (and apply what you learn) quickly.
- Serving as your “champion” internally to recommend you for stretch assignments, challenging projects and promotions.
- Facilitating introductions and helping you build your professional network.
If you want a mentor, start by having a conversation with your supervisor. If your employer doesn’t have a mentorship program, you can also look for a mentor outside your organization.
Connect with a PrideStaff recruiter.
Our recruiters do more than match people with great jobs; they serve as trusted career advisors. If you’re unsure about the path you’re on, want to explore new opportunities, or just need a little career guidance, contact your local PrideStaff office today. We can help you:
- Translate your talents, values and goals into a career you’ll love.
- Earn money while exploring a different field or making a career transition.
- Identify the best next step in your career to achieve your long-term goals.
- Get your foot in the door with your dream employer.
Have a career question? Want to learn what types of jobs you may be qualified for? Ready to learn more about how we can help? Contact a recruiter, search jobs near you or join our Talent Community today.