Looking for ways to make yourself a more marketable candidate?
What job seeker isn’t?
Jobs are becoming more plentiful, but competition for the best opportunities is still stiff. Beyond creating a stellar resume and having solid interviewing skills, how can you separate yourself from the pack?
One way to make yourself more attractive to a potential employer is by obtaining specialized training or certifications in your field. According to the National Organization for Competency Assurance, a certification is the “process by which a non-governmental entity grants a time-limited recognition and use of a credential to an individual after verifying that he or she has met predetermined and standardized criteria.”
In simpler terms, professional certifications offer assurance to potential employers that you are qualified to perform certain job duties and tasks. While they are often not required, in certain professions, especially accounting, education, finance, law, security, and technology, certifications can help you:
- beat out competitors for a job;
- advance more quickly in your field; and
- earn higher salaries than those without the training or certification.
No matter what field you work in, there’s probably a training or certification program available to help you grow within it. How can you determine which opportunities are right for your career?
- Do some research to find out what credentials, certifications and training are most valuable in your industry.
- Ask your employer (or potential employer) which options would benefit your career development the most.
- Make sure the organization that offers the training/certification is reputable.
- Weigh the costs against the potential benefits.
Free software training is available through PrideStaff.
When you register with PrideStaff, you can take advantage of free training on several computer software systems, including Microsoft Office. Improving your proficiency in these areas will make you more marketable as a job candidate. Contact your recruiter directly for more details on how to get started.