Recent Grad Without a Job Yet? Here’s How to Fix That!
You’ve passed your exams. Moved the tassel on your mortar board. And finally earned your degree.
If you’re a recent graduate looking for work, it’s a great time to be in the job market. Unemployment is extremely low, and employers are searching high and low for talented, motivated people like you.
So, where are all those “great jobs” you’ve been hearing about?
Frankly, they won’t fall into your lap, especially if you’re new to the job hunt. Stack the deck in your favor – and find a great job, faster – by avoiding these rookie job-search mistakes:
Not tapping your alumni network.
Fellow alumni can offer advice, make introductions, help you forge new professional relationships and broaden your reach – but only if you connect and ask for their assistance. In this earlier post, we explain how to use your alumni network as a career resource.
Not customizing your resume.
When it comes to conducting a focused (and ultimately successful) job search, think quality over quantity – and take the time to tweak your resume for each job.
At a glance, your resume should clearly demonstrate how your value translates into a potential employer’s specific needs. Before submitting, review your resume with a critical eye to make sure it:
- features your core competencies as they align with the needs of the job;
- moves beyond mere job responsibilities and shows a recruiter what’s in it for them;
- includes keywords or phrases relevant to the job.
Not taking advantage of everything a great staffing service can do for you.
Applying with an employment agency like PrideStaff is an ideal way to get that first job after graduation. So don’t go at it alone! Here are a few of the ways we can help:
- Get real work experience. Working on a variety of assignments helps you build your skills, rapidly broaden your knowledge base and make yourself more marketable. When you choose assignments, opt for ones that challenge you and offer room for growth.
- Earn money while you search on your own. Temporary assignments allow you to build enough flexibility into your schedule to conduct your job search, schedule informational interviews, network and more.
- Access the “hidden” job market. When working with a staffing firm, many employers do not advertise on their own. As a result, many positions are available exclusively through national employment agencies like PrideStaff.
- Strengthen software skills. PrideStaff offers free software training to candidates on several computer software systems, including Microsoft Office.
But don’t just take our word for it. Research from the American Staffing Association (ASA) shows that:
- One-third (35%) of staffing employees were offered a permanent job by a client where they worked on assignment, and two-thirds (66%) of those accepted the offers of permanent employment.
- Nine out of ten temporary and contract employees say that staffing work makes them more employable.
Are you a recent grad without a job yet?
PrideStaff can help fix that! Providing both job opportunities and valuable career guidance, we’re a great place to start your search for work, and ultimately find the job you want. Contact the PrideStaff office in your area to find out more about great local job opportunities.