Are you a college student, looking to:
- Learn more about what it’s like to work in a wide range of industries, environments and company sizes?
- Strengthen your resume?
- Earn extra spending money?
Then working as a temporary employee might be a great option for you.
Obviously, nothing can replace the coursework you’re taking right now. The classes you attend provide indispensable knowledge that will create a solid foundation for your budding career. But knowledge is just part of career success. To land a great job that will launch your career, you need to balance classroom learning with a great resume – and a clear understanding of what you really want in a job.
Temping can be the perfect complement to your college courses.
Here are just a few of the reasons why:
- Gain job skills. Temporary assignments provide a great way to build your skills. With each assignment, you have the opportunity to gain more experience, strengthen your resume and make yourself more marketable.
- Work a flexible schedule. Have time available in the summer? Over Spring or Winter break? In the evenings or on weekends? Your staffing recruiter can pair you with assignments that suit your availability. Temporary work is a great way to earn extra cash during your free time!
- Learn more about the world of work. Staffing firms like PrideStaff work with employers, large and small, in a wide range of industries. With each assignment, you get a first-hand look at how different types of organizations operate, so you can find out what type of role and environment you prefer.
- Line up a direct job. Temporary work gives you access to many potential employers and even more job opportunities – all while showcasing your skills. If an employer is impressed with your job performance on assignment, it could pave the way for a full-time job offer upon graduation.
Use these tips from PrideStaff to make every temporary assignment count and set the stage for career success once you graduate:
- Dress for the job you want. You may be performing entry-level work, but dressing a notch above what’s required sends the message that you take your assignment seriously – and that you should be taken seriously, as well. Plus, looking good boosts your confidence.
- Demonstrate initiative. Finish your work ahead of schedule? Ask your assignment supervisor for something more to do! You will earn a reputation for diligence and set the stage for a great employer reference when you need one.
- Bring a good attitude to work. Approach each new work situation constructively – even when you’re a little outside your comfort zone. Optimism and a can-do attitude will serve you well throughout your career, so cultivate healthy habits now.
- Treat every assignment with PrideStaff as if it were a direct job. A temporary position with PrideStaff has the potential to launch your career. Put forth your best effort on every assignment!