Perks. Benefits. Extras.
No matter what you call them, top talent wants them. Regardless of their role or industry, job seekers at all levels want to work for companies that offer robust packages and provide high work-life satisfaction.
But in today’s workplace, which perks and benefits will help you attract your ideal candidates? Below, we review the “extras” that talented people want most:
Related post: The Deciding Factors When Pay is Equal
Perks Top Talent Wants:
- Job flexibility. Unsurprisingly, work-life balance has rapidly become the most sought-after benefit for American workers. In fact, many would be willing to take a pay cut to achieve better balance in their lives. Employers that provide flexible work options are especially attractive to top candidates. Consider the viability of offering things like:
- Flexible schedules, including compressed work weeks and flexible start/stop times
- Job sharing
- A generous PTO package (many employers offer unlimited PTO to gain a recruiting advantage)
- Paid maternity/paternity leave
- Health and wellness. The ACA dictates that employers of a certain size must offer access to health insurance coverage, but the minimum frequently isn’t enough. Set the bar higher by offering:
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free fitness classes
- An onsite gym or paid gym membership
- Prepaid wellness cards for purchasing health-related items not covered by insurance
- Student loan repayment assistance. Hiring college graduates? A student loan contribution of just $50 or $100 per month can be a big draw for your organization, since the majority of borrowers make monthly payments of $300 or less. Similarly, tuition assistance and paid training can attract upwardly mobile candidates and individuals who work in knowledge roles that require continual learning.
- Intangibles and extras. Think like a high performer: beyond earning a competitive wage, what else would make you want to work for an employer? Consider:
- Challenging work with opportunities for learning and professional advancement
- A great corporate culture (including team building, company outings and other social opportunities)
- Time off for volunteering
- A performance/salary review after six months
- Mentoring opportunities
Struggling with recruiting?
Trust your search to experts. A national recruiting firm like PrideStaff specializes in attracting the best candidates, especially in industries or locations where they’re the hardest to find. We can help you design competitive compensation packages, actively sell the upsides of your opportunity, and win the talent war.