Posted in Job Search Tips
Job searches used to start by opening a newspaper and flipping to the classifieds. Not anymore!
Today, a successful search can be initiated right from the comfort of your own home – if you know how to use the Internet correctly.
When it comes to leveraging online resources in your job hunt, the process is not without its potential pitfalls. Privacy concerns, technology issues and failing to adapt your approach can jeopardize your chances of success. So before you start surfing the job boards, make sure your online job search is comprehensive, productive and safe with these do's and don'ts from PrideStaff:
- Do actively search for opportunities. Don't delude yourself into thinking the perfect position will appear in your Inbox. Uncover opportunities on your own. Leverage internet research sources and spend time reading through company websites to identify potential employers. Then, customize your resume and cover letter based on what you find out about them, their competition, their products and services, etc.
- Don't apply online for more than one position with a company. If you do, you won't be seen as focused – and may knock yourself out of contention as a result.
- Do customize your cover letters. Every single one! Generic introductions won't work, so tailor each letter to the open position, identifying your achievements and quantifying your accomplishments.
- Don't spam the internet with your resume. Merely posting your resume to hundreds of job sites will not be as effective as you might think, because (once again) you won't be able to customize it for a particular position or company. You will get better results if you apply for far fewer positions, but take the time to tailor your application so that it stands out from the crowd.
- Do outsmart the search engines. Make sure keywords in the job description are listed in your resume. Review competitive resumes, to see if they contain patterns of words or phrases you could use to strengthen yours. Tweak your resume regularly, even if you only make small changes, so that you'll stay at the top of searches conducted by hiring companies and recruiters.
- Don't ignore privacy issues. Savvy employers actively search for their employees' resumes online using search engines or job boards. So don't jeopardize your job by allowing your boss to find out you're looking for another one! Protect your identity (and your existing job) by limiting access to your essential contact information. Set up a personal email account (that doesn’t include your name) for recruiters to use to contact you.
- Don't limit your efforts. While it's easy to apply for jobs online, you'll be much more successful if you cast a wider net. Make sure to network, leverage social media and attend job fairs as well as industry events.
- Register with a staffing service. As a national staffing service with offices from coast to coast, PrideStaff will match you with the ideal opportunity and ensure confidentiality throughout the entire process. Many clients choose to work with us exclusively, which means that we fill jobs that may not be found elsewhere! Oh, and you don't even have to leave the comfort of your home to get started. Search jobs with PrideStaff here.