It’s a harsh recruiting reality. Data from PrideStaff’s 2014 Workforce Hiring Projections shows that:
- Over half (56.1%) of all respondents cited a “shortage of qualified talent” as their biggest hiring challenge.
- Skilled workers and general labor were the categories with the highest stills gaps – at 42.6% and 25.9%, respectively.
- Skilled candidate shortages have increased time-to-hire dramatically for over 28% of respondents.
A number of demographic, economic and competitive forces are heightening these challenges:
- Baby boomers are retiring rapidly, while our replacement generation of workers is smaller.
- Our economy is gaining momentum, domestic manufacturing is increasing and consumer confidence is on the rise.
- A general lack of work readiness, combined with a technical skills mismatch between applicants and available jobs, has created a growing skills gap.
These trends and challenges will fuel hiring demand for skilled labor such as CNC machinists, welders, machine operators and forklift drivers, as well as general laborers, for the foreseeable future. How can you find the workers your organization needs? Use these tips from PrideStaff to overcome skilled labor shortages:
- Begin sourcing talent well in advance of your actual needs. Sourcing qualified skilled labor may take longer than anticipated. So rather than waiting for projects to start or orders to come in, take a proactive approach to recruitment. By developing a pool of qualified candidates, you’ll be better prepared when you need to hire.
- Critically examine your entire hiring process. If yours is cumbersome or lengthy, great people may drop out during the process. Consider ways to streamline your application, screening, interviewing and vetting activities – without sacrificing quality.
- Partner with PrideStaff. As a true consultative partner, we will learn about your business goals, analyze your existing workforce plan, and develop a staffing strategy that:
- Matches your demand fluctuation – without adding to permanent headcount.
- Limits overhead expenses and risk.
- Ensures timely access to the specialized talent you need to grow your business.