Why Jugglers Don’t Earn Much Money
Does your career feel more like a three-ring circus than a linear path of advancement?
It might be time to give up the juggling act.
We’re not talking about the kind of juggling you’d find at a circus, obviously; we’re talking about job hopping. And if you’ve made more than two job changes in the last two years, we’re talking about you.
While many argue the pros of job-hopping:
- Exposure to a wide range of workplaces and corporate cultures
- Diversified skills due to varied job responsibilities
- Opportunities for higher-than-average pay increases
These upsides are definitely not guarantees. In fact, job-hopping can create a downward spiral, negatively impacting employability, increasing desperation and forcing the job seeker to take any job (even a lower-paying one) just to get a paycheck.
Staying with an employer long-term may be a better option, offering even greater advantages:
- Seniority. The longer you stay with an employer, the more likely you are to rise through the ranks – instead of having to re-establish your value, expertise and “promotability” with each new employer.
- Stability. The grass is definitely NOT always greener when it comes to the world of work. Your job may be tough – even stressful – but stability with your employer can make managing the stressors in other areas of your life more manageable.
- Benefits accrual. Many employers offer extra perks for tenure, ranging from 401(k) contribution matching to additional paid time-off. Even if you’re offered a signing bonus for switching jobs, the long-term costs may cancel out the up-front cash.
- Self-improvement. Job hopping provides an easy way to run away from work problems and blame others for your own shortcomings or failures. If you stick with an employer for years, however, you’ll have opportunities to recognize and address your own weaknesses (and grow as an employee in the process).
Want the best of both worlds?
Working as a PrideStaff temporary employee offers the stability, growth and variety you crave:
- List one employer on your resume. No matter where you work on assignment, PrideStaff is your employer of record – so you won’t look like a job hopper to future potential employers.
- Try out different work environments and responsibilities. Shorter-term assignments allow you to gain exposure to a wide range of employers, without the stigma of being a serial quitter.
- Increase the breadth and depth of your skill base. With each new assignment, you get paid to build your experience and expertise.
Current job not working out?
Register with PrideStaff – and skip the circus act! With offices nationwide, we offer a wide range of temporary, temp-to-hire and other transitional opportunities that can keep you gainfully employed (and avoid being labeled as a “job hopper”) while you search for your next full-time position. Contact the PrideStaff office in your area to find out more about great local job opportunities.