Yikes – not the most appealing way to describe overnight work hours.
But don’t let the name scare you away from considering midnight shift work. While working the night shift is not right for everyone, it does have a number of distinct advantages. Here are a few:
- Better pay. Individuals whose regularly scheduled non-overtime hours fall between 3 p.m. and 8 a.m. typically receive what’s known as a “night shift differential” in their pay rate. For people who work the graveyard shift (11 p.m. to 8 a.m.), that differential equates to a higher pay rate for the same work as day shift counterparts.
- Easier commute. Rush hour traffic isn’t a factor for night shift workers, which makes your drive less stressful and shorter. Spending less time commuting means you can spend more time doing things you enjoy.
- More free time during the day. While you obviously need to get your sleep to perform well on the job, having your days free affords you a ton of flexibility to: run errands that must be completed during business hours; pick up an additional part-time job; pursue a hobby or passion project; attend children’s events during school hours; and enjoy leisure pursuits while others are stuck at work.
- Go back to school. If you want to pursue a degree, working the night shift makes it easier to attend classes during the day.
- More opportunities. Fewer people apply to and compete for overnight work opportunities. This increases your chances of landing the job you want – and makes it easier to advance once you’re hired.
- Increased focus. The night shift is typically quieter than other shifts. With fewer meetings to attend and fewer disruptions from fellow employees or your boss, you can devote more attention to performing your job well (which is great for your mood, your productivity and your career).
Looking for a nightshift opportunity?
Apply with PrideStaff. With offices nationwide, we offer a wide range of 3rd shift assignments and direct positions that offer the flexibility, challenge and compensation you desire. Contact the PrideStaff office in your area to find out more about night shift jobs.