Sansdemic means “without people” or “without enough people,” and it perfectly describes the current recruiting market. Due to Baby Boomers retiring, birth rates declining, and the labor participation rate shrinking, among other reasons, there are more open jobs than there are people to fill them.
What’s the solution? Immigration? Increasing the population? Automation?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a silver bullet to end a demographic drought. But there are things you can do to keep your business moving—even during the most challenging times.
Proactive Workforce Planning
You can’t eliminate problems before they appear, but you can be ready to respond. By taking a proactive approach to workforce planning, you can prepare to fill roles before the need arises—and fill them more quickly with qualified talent. To plan for future needs:
- Analyze your current talent inventory.
- Think about future hiring needs.
- Identify required skill sets.
- Conduct a gap analysis.
- Understand the hiring market dynamics.
Adapt Your Recruiting Strategies
A lot has changed in the past few years, and what used to attract applicants might not work as well. Assess your current recruiting strategies and determine where you can improve. Here are a few ideas for enticing today’s job seekers:
- Update job titles to the terms candidates use when they are searching.
- Expand job descriptions to include “What’s In It For Me” for potential candidates.
- Strengthen your employment brand.
- Launch a referral program.
- Improve your career site.
Recruit Beyond Traditional Demographics
Do you find yourself going back to the same talent pool over and over? Try branching out into talent markets you may not have previously considered, like:
- Military veterans or other workers with transferrable skills.
- People working for a second chance after leaving incarceration or rehabilitation.
- Neurodivergent individuals.
- Current employees seeking upskilling or reskilling.
- Students looking to get a foot in the door with a great company.
Partner With PrideStaff
Want to create a comprehensive recruitment plan to weather the demographic drought? Our recruiting experts can help you build your ideal workforce—even during a Sansdemic.
The PrideStaff team is eager to help you:
- Forecast talent requirements and shortages.
- Proactively plan to recruit the needed skills.
- Create an actionable plan customized for your business.
- Discover hidden talent markets.
- Backfill positions created by internal promotions.
Contact your local PrideStaff recruiter today!